Thursday, April 24, 2014

School Field Trips Malaysia-style

Do you remember your school field trips from your childhood? Those stand out moments of the academic year when your class explored what your town had to offer. It was like a mini-vacation for a day. If you normally walked to school, this was your chance to ride the big, yellow school bus. Make sure your parents sign the permission slip. No homework the night before. Bring a sack lunch. And always stay with your buddy!

school field trip, Malaysia
Middle School students go white water rafting in Malaysia with Nomad Adventure
Photo credit: Nomad Adventure


My kids have been on some rather incredible field trips since we've moved to Penang. Time after time, I keep thinking, "This would never happen in Texas."


Exploring Caves the Adventurous Way

My friend dropped off a couple of her children at my house this morning before school since she was chaperoning a field trip that left an hour before classes started. The 2nd Grade/Year 3 (ages 7-8 years old) was headed to Gua Tempurung, the largest caves in peninsular Malaysia. My daughter went on the same field trip last year and spent breakfast telling her friends all about it. 

There's an underground river. The ceiling was so low at one part that we had to crawl. Only my head was out of the water.

Yes, this excursion with school children involved getting semi-submerged in a shallow, underground river. Headlamps on each student illuminated dark sections. Sometimes, the only way to proceed was for them to sit down on their bottoms and slide down rocky slopes. The teachers also made sure that plenty of dads came along to help. Why? One part of this spelunking expedition involved going down a small hole from one chamber to the one below it.  A dad had to lower a kid down while another would reach up to grab him/her. This was nothing like the well-lit, dry, walking tour along a paved path that my older son did on a field trip to Natural Bridge Caverns in Texas.


school field trip, Malaysia
Elephant encounter for the 5th Grade (Year 6) at the Taiping Zoo.

Not the Average Petting Zoo

Most of the Petting Zoos we went to in America were populated with small barnyard animals — stubborn goats, fuzzy rabbits, maybe a pony or chicken. In Malaysia, you could say that the animals we petted were much, much larger. Like Elephant large.

Every school field trip includes the part where all the kids get taken to the bathroom in a big group so that the class doesn't have to take numerous potty breaks throughout the trip. Last year's visit to the Taiping Zoo was another one of those "I'm not in Texas anymore" moments. We had to pay money for each of the 10-year-old girls in my group to use the toilets, but any collected fees were apparently not spent on toilet paper, soap, or a cleaning service. Faced with grimy Asian squatty potties — not a Western toilet in sight — these girls suddenly changed their minds about how badly the actually needed to use it. Putting on my sternest mama voice, I declared, "We already paid for you. It's a 90-minute ride back on a bumpy bus. Here's a tissue. I have hand sanitizer. Now go!" Yeah, this conversation wouldn't happen in Texas.


school field trip, Penang
Being quiet and respectful at the Reclining Buddha Temple

Nearby Exotic Cultural Encounters

When I was growing up in Houston, Texas, I think the most exotic cultural encounter we had on a field trip was having lunch at a Chinese restaurant after a visit to bank vault to see a million dollars in cold, hard cash. I was the only one who knew how to eat with chopsticks.

Penang's Wat Chayamangkalaram, better known as the Reclining Buddha Temple, is only a few minutes drive from our school. Popping in for a short visit is rather easy and convenient. You should see the rows of shoes we had to leave at the door. Thank goodness they're old enough to not need help putting them on. This was probably the easiest chaperoning job of them all.

On the other hand...

Growing up near the Anheuser-Busch Brewery in Houston, Texas, hubby remembers going on a tour there as a youngster. That would never happen in Malaysia.

What was your favorite field trip when you were a kid?


[Note: Faces intentionally blurred to protect classmates' privacy.]

This post is part of the following Link Ups. Check them out for more around-the-world travel inspiration.

30 comments:

  1. They are wonderful excursions. In my day I don't think we had school excursions, but our kids have done ropes courses, stayed on tropical islands and been snow skiing in N.Z. Kids today are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting perspective of Malaysia and US school trips. I still remember the school trips back in my school days, It was one of the best if not the best day in the whole calender year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your kids are so lucky to be schooled in a different country and get a chance to enjoy so many very unique experiences. I grew up in Ottawa and remember a trip to a Pioneer Village as being one of the highlights - as well as weekly swimming lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing adventures and great that you shared with us. Not your typical field trip.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful way for children to learn about natural wonders with other children their age. My memories of school trips were so basic that I'd be embarrassed to even explain them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We went to the zoo one year four times - each for a different subject. My son has his first one in two weeks - to the Melbourne museum. To say he is excited is an understatement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always loved going to the roller rink, but these adventures sound much better! My kindergartner is headed to the Houston Zoo next week...don't think she'll up close to an elephant though

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are some pretty impressive field trips! I remember going on one in elementary school to a sewage treatment facility. I bet nobody can top that!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These excursions are definitely memorable. I remember that we went to the Atlantic Winter Fair every fall, and that was exciting. Think of cows and pigs instead of elephants :) I have to say I do get a little miffed when I pay to use the toilet and there's not tissue or soap. Then I take a deep breath, and think ...oh YES, that's why I brought my own. Thankgs for linking to Travel Photo Thursday this week.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your kids had the best luck to have moved to Malaysia. What great memories and experiences for them. Those are some awesome field trips that will never happen in the US. I think I'd be very nervous sending my kids to that underground river though. Since I grew up in Guam, there weren't many places for field trips that even remotely sound interesting. Does a trek in a jungle count? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked the teacher a million questions about safety precautions for that underground river crossing to make sure that the kids weren't caught in a flash flood before I signed the permission slip. The school has jungle trekking field trips, too. Sometimes, they are up Penang Hill. Other times, they go out to Turtle Beach and take a fishing boat back.

      Delete
  11. Definitely definitely one advantage to living the Expat life isn't it? I do laugh at some of the experiences our children have had, which would definitely shock the health and safety brigade back home! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I truly enjoyed reading this post, Michele. You made me laugh with your comments along the way. Awesome field trips (including your hubby's one to the Anheuser-Busch Brewery). When we were small, we mostly went to visit memorial sites of some WWII battles, or the sites representing the achievements of the modern age (like an airport or a tunnel). That was odd!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Michelle, I enjoyed reading this post and how you oompare your Texas field trip experiences to those of your kids in Penang. Your kids are definitely lucky to have those Penang field trip experiences, definitely very memorable and exciting. Your experiences are memorable as well, for sure. You wouldn't know how much or how less excitement you were missing if you didn't have anything to compare then. I had to chuckle about your lunch at a Chinese restaurant being the most exotic part of your field trip. Great writing as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These all sound like amazing field trips! It's a shame this kind of thing isn't universal - school's in the UK and USA are far too concerned with health and safety but kids could learn a lot from this sort of thing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely post! Even though I do not have kids, I love reading these posts as they make me feel that travelling with kids is indeed possible. Penang is one of my favourite places, and school trips you described sound amazing! I would love to go to those caves and pet an elephant myself!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Field trips with families yes I remember long car camping trips across the US to Florida and the Grand Tetons and camping at KOA's ....ah so sweet to remember

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really love this post! I never really thought of school field trips as a traveling experience, but they definitely are. And how fortunate for your kids to be able to go on such amazing adventures with their classmates in Malaysia of all places! None of my field trips as a kid were ever so interesting or exciting. This post really has me thinking about what it would be like to live the expat life with kids once Jave and I start a family.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Isn't it always amazing when educational field trips are as exciting as these - interactive, fun and challenging?!! Enjoyed reading about each one, and I'm sure the kids enjoyed participating in each one, even more!

    Thanks for sharing!

    Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Now those are some amazing school field trips!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So interesting noting the differences in field trips between cultures...I also spent some time in Texas as a kid and remember going to this festival on a field trip called the "rattlesnake roundup"...exactly what it sounds like! Literally PITS and PITS of rattlesnakes! Haha, maybe not the safest field trip idea...

    ReplyDelete
  21. How interesting comparing US and Malaysian field trips. I never would have thought they'd be all that different, but it makes so much sense. I think these Malaysian ones sound like a lot of fun and definitely wouldn't be up to snuff in the North American "too afraid of getting sued so let's not do it" mentality.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well, that's awesome that they got to do these things on field trips and that your hubby went to a brewery, really? Makes my field trips look like a joke haha Thanks for linking up to the #SundayTraveler

    ReplyDelete
  23. We definitely did nothing that fun on a school trip when I was a kid. We maybe went to some pioneer village or a historic house, nothing greatly entertaining for kids. Exploring caves?! Now that's a school trip!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a school trip!!!! I am not sure Aussie kids could do this - i think some OH&S bossy pants would stop them. Biggest thanks for joining us for #SundayTraveler this week again!

    ReplyDelete
  25. There's no way these trips would happen in NJ, either! I can't even remember my school trips...but I remember my sister went to the World Trade Center.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! they are some school trips! We never did anything that extreme but would have loved to! I guess not having elephants in England may have something to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Very fun! They are very lucky to have such opportunities, not all schools in Malaysia willing to take risk on the the pupils. I didn't get to go camping in jungle until I was in upper level of secondary school.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing adventures and great that you shared with us. Thank you so much.But I know a site that provides field trips for kids in Houston.Your Kids to jump, slide, and climb with non-stop excitement & I must say they’ll create lifelong memories to share with their friends.Just have a look Kids Field Trip Ideas In Houston

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Comment moderation is on, so your comment may not appear immediately.

Web Analytics