Thursday, January 19, 2012

Hong Kong: A Room with a View

I've been wanting to visit Hong Kong ever since I was a little girl. The funny thing is that, for the most part, I wasn't ever clear on what exactly I'd do once I arrived. I just knew I wanted to go.

My first impression was that it's a huge, tall city filled with a crush of humanity. Nathan Road outside our hotel was jam packed with people. Railings even divided the sidewalk from the road to prevent jaywalking and, perhaps, people accidentally being pushed in front of traffic. After a while, we started using the extensive subway tunnels that run under Hong Kong to get around. Maps showing aboveground landmarks and what exits accessed them made it very easy to navigate.

Our room at the Sheraton had an amazing view of Victoria Harbour's Symphony of Lights. Involving 44 buildings, it's the world's largest permanent light and sound show according to the Guinness Book of Records. It provided the perfect excuse to entice the kids back to the hotel by 8 p.m. so they could enjoy the show.

This is just a small part of the show.
Many buildings had "Seasons Greetings" pictures lit up on their sides.

Weirdly, the other window in our hotel room was exactly where you'd expect a bathroom mirror (and a wall) to be, giving us a clear view into the loo. That's my bed in the foreground and the bathtub towel rack towards the top left of the picture.

Mommy can monitor handwashing and tooth brushing
without getting up from her bedroom chair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I read each and every comment. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Comment moderation is on, so your comment may not appear immediately.

Web Analytics