|Parliament as seen from across the Danube|
(Photo by my hubby)
I scrolled through the photos on my phone trying to find something for a little Weekend Travel Inspiration. Nothing. Nada. Naught. Instead, my life and my photo feed has been filled with elaborate, homemade Halloween costumes, school theatre and musical performances, and Girl Scout ceremonies. It's a good life. It's a full life. But I no longer regularly fly off to foreign countries as I did when I was an expat. So, I turned to hubby's phone.
He still gets to go places. When I was at the Girl Scout glamping campout a few weeks ago making sure young girls didn't get lost in woods at night, he spent the weekend solo in Budapest. Twice a year, he gets to goes to Hungary for two weeks on business. While most of his time is spent in the town of Debrecen, he often heads to Budapest over to the weekend for a little travel exploration. He's done it so many times that he's seen almost everything that the estimable Rick Steves has suggested.
I've never been to Hungary, so hubby tells me what it's like. He orders mouth-watering Esterhazy cake and tells me that it's delicious. He visits the Széchenyi Thermal Bath, a medicinal bath which could pass for a Baroque palace, and tells me what it's like to soak in its healing waters while feeling like he's in the spin cycle of a giant washing machine. He does not usually take photos, but he makes a point of taking them while he's there so he can show me what he sees. He brings me scrumptious chocolates from Szamos and paprika, too.
Someday, I will visit Budapest with him and experience it for myself.
I've joined up as one of the co-hosts of Weekend Travel Inspiration.
- Link one of your inspirational travel photos or stories to this post by adding your info.
- Copy and paste our badge and a link to this page.
- Visit some of the other wonderful travel bloggers, read their posts, and leave a comment. It would be great if you could comment on 2-3 posts.
- Tweet it and include this hashtag. #wkendtravelinspiration .
- Follow all the hosts of Weekend Travel Inspiration who are working hard to spread the word on what wonderful work travel bloggers are doing.
- Don’t forget to check out my amazing co-hosts and their pages: Reflections Enroute, The Crowded Planet, ContentedTraveller, Albom Adventures, Safari 254, and FamiliesGo.