Wednesday, April 24, 2013

It's the Great Penguin, Charlie Brown

One of the things I truly wanted to see on Kangaroo Island, South Australia was a wild penguin. While most people head to the Penguin Centres in Kingscote or Penneshaw on the eastern side of the island, I was convinced that I could stay cozily ensconced at Hanson Bay on the southern side and still see one. The rocks along the bay are supposedly a favorite roosting place, and Nikki at the blog Brave or Just Crazy happened to have a penguin walk out of the water and right up to her feet while she was taking pictures of her sons fishing at this bay. How awesome is that?

Come this way. There's sure to be penguins here.


Are you familiar with the classic TV special, It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown?  In it, Linus remains perpetually hopeful that the Great Pumpkin will rise up out of the pumpkin patch on Halloween night even though, year after year, this pumpkin fails to make an appearance. Well, I began to feel a lot like Linus. Day after day, I'd head over to the beach in the hopes that I would one day find a penguin. Time after time, it never happened. At least I got some great pictures while I was fiddling around with my camera to pass the time.

Clouds filled the sky at the end of this day. No stargazing tonight.

Hanson Bay is a wild and rugged place. Like most of the island, it's pristine, relatively undeveloped and just a wonderful place to commune with nature. Wading into the chilly water, it marked the first time we set foot in the Southern Ocean. (This ocean wasn't on the map when I was a kid. I first heard of it when I helped my boy study for a geography quiz. As they say, the world keeps changing.) If you had the superpowers to swim directly south from here, the next land you'd hit would be Antarctica.


A beautiful January summer day at Hanson Bay

I never did see any penguins, but the kids and I had a good time playing on the beach. I'd try to persuade them to hang out a little longer, but they were less convinced that the Great Penguin would make an imminent appearance. On the other hand, we did spot these colorful arcs in the sky.

Double Rainbow and a chance to play around with photo software filters


We did see some other avian life...

Seagulls


Hooded Plovers
Fewer than 200 plovers are left on Kangaroo Island which means I captured 5% of the population in this photo.

Another night, we were eating dinner in our cabin having given up on seeing penguins that day. Suddenly, my son remarked that the sun was setting and that it looked pretty. I turned to gaze out the window behind me and saw the crimson and golden rays streaming out over the hilltop. Dropping our forks, we ran out the door and up the hill to get a better look at the view, making sure to grab the kids before they ran right off the tall cliff. Breathtaking.



While seeing a wild penguin would have been the icing on the cake, the cake was pretty awe inspiring all by itself.


Related Posts
Kangaroo Island's Koala Walk
Major Fail: Sitting Together on the Airplane
Kangaroo Island Highlights (YouTube)


This post is part of Travel Photo Thursday on Budget Travelers Sandbox, Photo Friday on Delicious Baby and Friday Daydreamin' at R We There Yet Mom? Check them out for more around-the-world travel inspiration.

29 comments:

  1. Gorgeous double rainbows and sunsets, and the possibility of spotting penguins (even if remote) - sounds like a little slice of paradise Kangaroo Island does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The penguin might have eluded you, but you got some gorgeous shots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a glorious place to hang out just waiting for that mystical penguin to show up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 5% in one shot - that is pretty amazing. Pity the penguin didn't show, but glad that the sunset came to the party - and a double rainbow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stunning location and photos! We would be there all the time if we thought we could see a penguin in the wild!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful place - even without penguins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aww...that's beautiful. Penguins or no penguins, you were so lucky to be blessed by the sights of those magical rainbow and heavenly sunset. Hanson Bay sounds spectacular. Interesting to learn that the Southern Ocean was not in the map before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing shots, Michele. Love the angles of that first one with your kids--you've got to print & frame that one! Shucks on not seeing the great penguin, but like you said, I think it all worked out ;-) What a sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aww, too bad you didn't get to see the penguins! But like you said, it was a great day, graced by beautiful views, so it was still worth it :)

    - Maria Alexandra

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful photos - I had to stop myself from skipping ahead to find out if you saw a penguin! I agree that it would be awesome to see a wild one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous gorgeous photos! I have never seen a double rainbow before (didn't even know they existed). Maybe you'll see the penguin next time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such beautiful photos. I have never been to Kangaroo island but I am heading to Phillip Island off Victoria where I hope to see fairy penguins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Danielle, my friend got the Penguins Plus tickets at Phillip Island and thought they were worth the extra price (double regular tickets) to be that much closer to the action.

      Delete
  13. I love your kid pictures in this post. They are having a blast and you caught them in perfect action shots!

    ReplyDelete
  14. At the risk of sounding dumb, there is a Southern Ocean???

    Sorry you found no wild penguins. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Southern Ocean?? That's what I said the first time I heard about it. It turns out it was established (named) in 2000.

      Delete
  15. It seems like it would be a very chilly place, yet your kids are in shorts. Intriguing destination, and beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was summertime, and not chilly at all -- even for my family who's been on a tropical island for the last year. It actually felt just perfect. I brought long pants just in case it got cold, but we never needed them.

      Delete
  16. I was so hoping that you'd see a penguin! I'd love to see them, too. But looks like you and the kids had a great time anyway. Beautiful sunset.

    ReplyDelete
  17. If you would have seen the penguin, you would have topped my feral pig experience! Just sayin'. I hope you are able to have that experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to say I'll take a penguin over a feral pig any day.

      Delete
  18. Beautiul bech scenes, Michele! I love that double rainbow shot. I was hoping you'd see a penguin too but it still looks like a wonderful ime by the beach.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very Nice photos . The world is full of breathtaking views, we must enjoy with it.
    http://egy-king.blogspot.com/2012/03/scuba-diving-in-red-sea-in-egypt.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. penguin looks like great really. beaches perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  21. beautiful images. We saw penguins in the wild in Tasmania coming out of the water and going up to their nests after sunset - an amazing experience.
    Have a wonderful week and thank yo for stopping by my blog last week - we have been away trecking and only just back - so catching up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aww too bad you didn't get to see a penguin. I'm sure you still had a lovely time though. Your kids certainly enjoyed running around there!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sorry you didn't get to see a penguin, but this looks an amazing day. Love the double rainbow.

    I host a weekly party called "Oh, the PLACES I've been!" and would love to have you join. The link goes up at 7 pm EST on Thursday evenings.

    - The Tablescaper

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely photos! The birds in the picture are crested terns, not hooded plovers, though.

    ReplyDelete

I read each and every comment. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. Comment moderation is on, so your comment may not appear immediately.

Web Analytics